Dave Carey

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

In Memorium

David J. Carey

May 22, 1935 - March 7, 2006

To a loving father, grandfather, brother, uncle, friend, and a dedicated teacher: we love you very much and miss you.

A memorial service will be held for Dave on Sunday, March 12, at Eline Funeral Home in Reisterstown, Maryland at 2:00.

If you would like to share memories of Dave, please click on the "comments" link at the bottom of this page (choose the "anonymous" profile if you do not have blospot login), or email me.

David James Carey was born in Marion, Iowa, to Edward and Mildred Carey. He was the youngest of five siblings: the others are Agnes, Robert, Wyoma, and Bonnie Lee. The Carey family expanded to include in-laws Clifford Johnson, Jeanne Carey, and William R. Bradley, and honorary siblings Bill and Gertie Scott.

During summers, he took several unusual jobs: In high school, he worked for the REA (now called the Rural Electric Cooperative) wiring remote farmhouses, detassled corn in Iowa, and worked at a pineapple cannery while visiting his sister Wyoma in Hawaii. For several summers in college, he stood watch in a fire tower for the U.S. Forest Service in New Mexico, where his brother Bob also worked, and enjoyed riding horses through the backcountry. The summer before he was married, he unloaded soybeans from boxcars--it was extremely hot, dirty work, and he lost a great deal of weight. Luaine remembers that he had a suit made for the wedding, but had to have it altered to fit him because he was so thin. He was always proud of his experience with hard physical labor, believing it made him a more well-rounded person.

He earned a bachelor's degree in journalism and a master's degree in education and history at the State University of Iowa.

He took a teaching position in Plymouth, Wisconsin, where he met Luaine Zimmermann, and married her on September 7, 1963. Instantly, he gained eight brothers--Eugene, Lyle, Melvin, Marvin, Glenn, Roger, Warren, and Dale Zimmermann--and their wives and childen, mother-in-law Elsie Zimmermann, and father-in-law George Zimmermann.

The couple moved to Madison, Wisconsin. There, Luaine earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in library science from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, and Dave was an outstanding PhD student in the University's department of history. He completed all but a dissertation for his PhD. Dave and Luaine's first daughter, Melanie, was born in Madison on June 2, 1964.

While living in Madison, Dave enjoyed sailing on Lake Mendota with family and took several sailing trips along the East Coast with good friends Don McTavish and Chuck Storm.

The Carey family later moved to Harford Hills, Maryland, where second daughter Shannon was born on March 21, 1976. They moved to Reisterstown, Maryland, in 1978.

Dave taught World History, U.S. History, and advanced placement history classes in Baltimore County schools for 23 years, first at Dulaney High School, then Woodlawn High School, Randallstown High School, and Pikesville High School, from which he retired in 1997. He was a dedicated teacher who expected a great deal from his students and in return put his heart and soul into teaching them. He arrived early at school each day to give students extra help, often worked late into the night to improve his teaching materials, and mentored several other teachers during his career.

During their 42-year marriage, Dave and Luaine traveled to Egypt, China, Costa Rica, Peru, and Mexico City, and in summers took road trips across the country to visit relatives and friends. Dave shared a love of table tennis with neighbors and friends and a love of woodturning with his dear friend Don McTavish and several of his brothers-in-law. He was an avid reader and loved acoustic guitar music.

He is also survived by sons-in-law Christopher Hall and Daniel Lyons, and grandchildren Victoria Summer Hall, Sydney Grace Hall, and Zacharias Byrd Hall.

He began smoking at a young age and tried many times to quit. About five years ago, he quit for good, but was diagnosed with Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer in spring 2005. He died of complications from lung cancer on March 7, 2006.

Memorial contributions may be made in Dave's name to: the American Lung Association of Maryland, Executive Plaza 1, Suite 600, 11350 McCormick Road, Hunt Valley, MD 21031, or (410) 560-2120. Please include a note to designate funds for lung cancer research.

9 Comments:

  • Dave and I knew each other since babyhood, thanks to our sisters, Bonnie and June, who were classmates and close friends from school days until June's untimely death a few months ago. I don't remember, but I guess we used to be wheeled around in a baby buggy together. Perhaps Bonnie can confirm or deny.

    We had some great times together while growing up. We were
    together so much that we were asked on occasion if we were brothers. One of the high spots in high school, for me, was singing in the boy's quartet with Dave, Charlie Cox, and Jim Lang. We must have been pretty good, since we got a "one" at state contest.

    That only confirmed what we already knew. Dave was also a fine guitarist. He used to come up with some great chord progression for the popular songs of the day. He may have regaled you with stories of our band in high school. He
    came up with the name, "Three Fireballs and a Fizzle". He played guitar and bass, though
    not at the same time, Charlie played guitar, Jim played piano, and I usually played
    tenor banjo. Once again, we were great. We would meet once a week at each others homes to practice. Our mothers always had a gallon or two of milk, cakes, pies, and plenty of ice cream. We would play for a while 'til hunger got the best of us and we would have to take a food break.

    Dave was a great friend, and a great man. We had many wonderful times together, and although I wax eloquent, I had best stop. Rest in peace, dear friend.

    Phil DeWees

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 AM  

  • I, Bill Bradley, met David Carey during the summer of 1952. His sister, Wyoma, brought him to Maui, an early graduation present between his Junior and Senior years. It was a gamble but he did graduate. At that time, Wy and I were dating, and on weekends we tried to show David as much of Maui as possible and he really enjoye what he saw of Maui. There were severql youg kids about his age so he was able to have youn friends too. Wy was able to get him a job at the Maui Pineapple Cannery doing odd jobs and that gave him some extra money. When I wrote to Wys parents asking permission to marry her, I guess David gacve me a good recommendation as they did not object. When we were married I gained new relatives and I dearly love each of them. David was a big partof our life and we will miss him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

  • What a great tribute to your Dad! Dave was indeed a special man to have the truly dedicated and talented family that you are. I feel sincerely blesssed to be a part of your "circle of friends"!
    I offer you best wishes for a new life. Just remember Dave's life is changed not taken away..HE lives on through all of you! I'll treasure his life more than ever through Luaine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 PM  

  • To all of you....Dave has been a part of our lives for a long time. I first actually met him when your Mom lived with us in Madison. I remember clearly him asking me if it was OK with me that he had decided he wanted to marry her. I was honored that he wanted our blessing. The rest followed. Those were some great times and some struggles. No money, cheap housing and lots of work. The ends justified the means as evident it is, where we all are and what has become of us. We've had our differences, as it happens with most people, thru those times came understanding and appreciation. That's life and it's a good thing. He was never shy to tell me if I was making an ass of myself. Somebody had to do it!!!

    One of my fondest memories of him is the time, in Madison, when he convinced me that he knew of a collector who had a genuine "John Wilkes Booth" half dollar. Being a small time coin collector and gullible, I bit into the story. He dragged that out for months until I finally found out he was putting me on. I was rarely EVER to beat him at his own game. I did it a couple of times but usually failed. There are many more stories like that.

    We certainly will miss him. We shared the woodworking, the many books and the visits in Plymouth and the times he and your Mom came to our home in Los Alamos and in Santa Fe.

    Again, our heartfelt sympathies. Please call on us if we can help in any way. We can and want to see you all whenever it is appropriate and timely to do so.

    Eugene and Priscilla

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 AM  

  • There are some people that you just think will go on and on and on--in my mind Dave was one of those people. Needless to say when I received the news of his death, I was stunned. In our school annual
    (Quill) next to each Senior's picture is a quotation or statement that the staff thought described or had meaning regarding the individual. Next to Dave's picture the statement reads "Argue,argue, early and late--if a line were crooked, he'd argue it straight." Keep that in mind--my last name was Burnett and
    his being Carey meant that were seated in close proximity of each other in several classes. I have never been known to keep my opinions, feelings or beliefs solely to myself, especially when someone as adept as Dave was at dropping a comment or taking the opposite side on issue. I think saying some interesting discussions took place might be an understatement. I look back on those times and believe they were instrumental in honing my skills of
    "conversation".

    I remember a formal dance at school I believe when were Juniors,
    I was dating a friend of Dave's and
    he made arrangements with his sister in Hawaii to ship to Marion
    two orchid corsages, one for his date and one for his friend's date, which was me. Here I was a
    chubby, dumpy girl in a homemade formal--but I had "an orchid corsage straight from Hawaii". I know it was done for his friend but the trickle down effect of making me feel special will never be forgotten.

    I would like to close with the last
    verse of one of my favorite poems--
    "who are we going to be?
    WE ARE GOING TO BE WHO WE NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN WITHOUT EACH OTHER"

    My sincere sympathy--
    Sondra Burnett Knapp Class of 1953

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 AM  

  • I first met Dave on my second trip to Egypt in 1990. My son Michael and I were part of a tour group that included Dave & Luaine and what I remember most about him was his knowledge and his sense of humor. My son was only 20 years old at the time and Dave took him under his wing and made him feel like one of the gang. We truly enjoyed his company and he made the trip a memorable experience.

    Tonight I pulled out the photo album and took a walk down memory lane as I saw the pictures of Dave dancing with a Belly Dancer, riding a camel & posing in front of the Egyptian antiquities. My fondest memory is the night we rode in a horse drawn carriage through the streets of Luxor laughing as Dave tried to explain to our Egyptian tour leader the meaning of some of our American phrases.

    I've had the good fortune to remain in contact with Dave & Luaine since that time even though we live in different states and I've even had the opportunity to visit with them on a couple of occasions.

    We both had the love of travel in common and enjoyed sharing our travel experiences. I would look forward to the Christmas letter every year to see what was new in the Carey household and I would share with Dave & Luaine the latest news concerning my family.

    On one visit Dave LOANED me a book titled "Riding The Desert Trail" by Bettina Selby about a woman who traveled by bicycle to the source of the Nile. That was about 10 years ago and I still have the book.......it is long overdue. Since I just returned from a trip to Kenya (the source of the Nile) I think now is the time to read the book again.....and think of Dave with every page.

    Dave, it was a pleasure to have known you.

    Luaine, my thoughts are with you and your family.
    As Always

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 AM  

  • Bill, Gertrude and Judy: Roxy Scott Ventling sent Bill and Gertrude the info that got us into the Marion Library and onto the computer. We so appreciate Shannon's message and the chance to read the other messages. We have such fond memories of David. He was the only one who could calm a very colicy baby, was good help on the farm-except for the famous tool box incident, gave Judy her first pair of cowboy boots-the same ones Bill gave to David years before, shooting basketball in the Emerson School playground, the wedding and anniversary in Plymouth, staying with you in Madison in 1967 and again in Baltimore. We are so happy to have been a part of so many visits and family reunions. And what a great letter writer--we always felt like we were right there with you on your trips. And we always got a smile and a laugh whenever David wrote, called or visited.

    We are thinking of you all-Luaine, Melanie and Shannon and families and all the Carey's. May we always keep in touch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

  • I was a classmate of Luaine's from Plymouth High School and was in Dave's classroom during his first year teaching at PHS. He was a great teacher - we all liked and respected him. Learning was easy when he was the teacher!

    From what I have read, you have so many good memories of this remarkable man that will remain with you forever. God has certainly blessed you with Dave's love for family and friends.

    May you all find peace.

    Sharon Petersen Chapman
    PHS Class of 1961

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 PM  

  • I also was a classmate of Luaine's in grade school and High School. Dave was my teacher in both a U. S. history and a world history class. I think he was the best teacher that I had in high school and I learned much through him. I remember one story that he told about his youth during World War II. He told that butter was rationed but they were able to get a pound and tried to decide the best way to use it for the most enjoyment. Finally, he said, they decided to make toast and have it on that. He said it was the best toast he could remember having. It was stories such as that and his knowledge of history (and comments on current events) that made me like him.
    I visited him and Luaine in Madison a couple of times when they were going to school there and saw them at our class reunions. I expected to see him again this year. I will miss him, but as with all who knew him, he will live fondly in my memory.
    Luaine, you and your family have my deepest sympathy.

    David Opitz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home